 Off-Topic / Debate / 2381
Re: Blue Hopper Car Mania...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 05:05:13 GMT

Simon Robinson <simon@simonrobinson.com> wrote:
When you resort to such things as just calling the arguments
you don't agree with 'whining' you are doing little more than
political name-calling. You are using emotive or pejorative words
as a substitute for actually coming up with any reason for
holding the opinions you do. It might sound impressive to you
but to people who don't agree with you it just looks
(a) pretty immature, and
(b) like you're name-calling because you don't have any serious
arguments to back up your opinions with.

or:

(c) Don't always have enough time to spend on a well-reasoned reply
that will ultimately fall on the deaf ears of someone whose opinions
are simply wrong-headed.

And frankly, it doesn't make for a constructive contribution
to any debate.

Most people who actually engage in debates have no intention of
being swayed by the other side.  My time to devote to almost
certainly fruitless discussions is fairly limited nowadays.

So while I could come up with a lot of reasons WHY I think you
saying that someone buying up a supply of some
rare/collectible/whatever product with the intent to resale some,
most, or all of it at a profit is wrong is, in fact, wrong, I don't
always have time to do it.  And Larry's already done it before, and
he's right, but you don't accept it.

You buy what you want with your money.  Then you do whatever you
want with it.  Give it to children, burn it in a big pile on
Halloween, or sell it for a profit.  It's yours.

I'll buy what I want with my money and I'll do with it as I please.
It's mine.

I'm remembering something I did a couple years ago.  Found a HUGE
stash of 1967 Value Packs at a local Wal-Mart.  Bought 35 of them
one night before I even dreamed of telling anyone, probably about
half the stash.  Then I told some people.  Sold quite a few at about
a 20% markup, which many were thrilled to pay because they couldn't
be found elsewhere.  Have since auctioned off a few for up to 3x
what I paid for them.  They're MINE.  I bought them with my money,
I'll do with them as I please.

Now granted, my telling others about where to find them wasn't that
helpful since Wal-Mart wouldn't ship them anyway, but people in
Knoxville may very well have taken advantage of the deal.  I know I
never bought another one and they were gone in a couple months,
after sitting there for years.

There are people close enough to Knoxville that they could have
driven here and bought them for less than Larry paid in LD charges
to work his deal on the hoppers.  Maybe they did, or maybe they
didn't.  Maybe I wasn't providing a "service" for the people who
bought them from me at all.

You seem to want to apply some very weird moral concepts to
commerce, and when you start saying that it's "wrong" for someone to
call up BB and order 50 of something and thereby prevent 3 other
Johnny-come-latelys from getting their 2 or 3 each, especially if
said someone turns around and sells them, I'm sorry, but it don't
wash.  It's whining.  You're saying it isn't FAIR for that person to
do that, that it would be more FAIR for the Mr. Latelys to get
theirs too, and without having to deal with Mr. Early on his terms.

Sorry, but the people I hear complaining most about what is or is
not fair fall mainly into two groups - children and people who want
to tell other people what to do with their own money, in many ways.

Perhaps you don't care whether that's the impression you
give (but then if you didn't care what people thought, why
post anything at all?)

Several of the people here, who are otherwise perfectly decent,
trustworthy, nice people, are flawed in some way I don't quite
understand.  I doubt anything I ever say will sway those people, so
maybe it is pointless to say anything at all on these subjects.

But I don't have it in me to see someone claim that a person in
Larry's position, or the position of the other large "yank" buyer is
doing something "wrong" and not respond.  Unfortunately, I do not
normally have time to craft a well-worded brilliant response like
Larry does from time to time, so while I'm sitting up at 3am trying
to digest the latest in NT security hacks or sitting at work trying
to figure out why we use crappy software packages like SAS or
Matlab, I take a couple of seconds to throw something together that
basically amounts to, "yes, but you are whining."

If you were an American I'd say "so sue me."

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/