 Off-Topic / Debate / 23021
Re: File under 'D'...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:20:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Don Heyse wrote:
1-though I am usually more disposed between nurture over nature for
how kids turn out--not 100 percent, to be sure, but nurture is more
than 50 percent of the battle.

Since I'm still slummin in .debate for now, I figure I just can't
ignore this little nugget.

Care to discuss why you give the advantage to nurture?  I mean, if
I were to adopt a monkey for instance, I'd tend to say "advantage
nature".

Sure, if we have parents raise a racoon, I favour nature as well...

That said, you raise a racoon in a house with humans, that racoon would behave
substantially different as an adult than a racoon raised by other racoons "out
in the woods".  So yes, compared to other monkeys raised by monkeys, the moneky
staying at your house would be substantially different.

I personally believe that genes and such play a huge role in who we are--but I
also believe that "nurture", or the environment, plays a bigger role.  I'm
sitting here at 36 and, looking back at my life, would it have mattered greatly
if my hair was brown instead of blonde?  I dunno.  I am colourblind--I'm sure
that that particular part of "nature" (genes) affected who I am today, but then
the "nurture" value had a huge impact--friends scoffed when I got colours
wrong...

Where I have the "Nature over Nurture" arguement is two adopted sisters that I
know--both adopted at exactly the same time at a very young age, and now, in
their 30's, they have lead substantially different lives (which I shall not
point out here)--suffice to say they are very different.

That said, I've seen such 'radical' differences in people being brought up by
their birth parents, so where did that get me?

qualities were you considering in "how kids turn out"?

Don

This is a good question.  If one kid is always in trouble with the law, school
drop-out and such, and the other kid is an upstanding citizen who excels in
school, could you even begin to show how that scenario is more due to nature or
nurture?  It's a great discussion and I love thinking about it.

Dave K