 Off-Topic / Debate / 22678
Re: Jefferson on Copyright and Patent
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:46:52 GMT

   What if I have a problem with bearing arms that has nothing to do with religious scruples?

One of the definitions of “religious” is “extremely scrupulous or conscientious.” That’s how you get the term “conscientious objector.” Basically, the phrase just exempts someone with a strong philosophical objection to keeping or using arms.

BTW, all I have been trying to do of late is to set aside the argument over the meaning of the 2nd Amendment -- I think the meaning is profoundly clear and I think that I have shown that that is the case from a variety of perspectives. But that’s specific to the U.S. and is merely a legal formality.

It doesn’t go to your larger moral question on the use of deadly force, and the issue of whether such deadly force should be in the hands of individuals. I have disagreed with that view in the past and I have cited reasons for my objection to your views. Rather like the quote suggests -- it’s probably a personal matter. I think we have agreed to disagree on this one. I hope you realize that we wouldn’t even argue about it except for the fact that I respect your view on guns and find it’s greater concerns worthy of investigation.

I guess I just think that having more laws doesn’t do anyone any good. To achieve the goals of peace and non-violence we have to truly move beyond who and what we are today as human beings.

-- Hop-Frog