 Off-Topic / Debate / 22655
Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap in California)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:49:29 GMT

   I would go one step farther and assert that the belief in an admitted logical impossibility is not much different from insanity.

Yeah, that’s why I used the word “delusion.”

Delusion -- The act or process of deluding; The state of being deluded; A false belief or opinion; Psychiatry A false belief strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence, especially as a symptom of mental illness.

Xtianity is so internally conflicted that I think it absolutely requires constant shifts in belief to allow for different passages of the Bible to all be simultaneously true. Of course, we know that John thinks of some of it as just pretty little “stories” -- well then, why can’t we just toss out the whole thing? Oh right, because other bits are 100% true!

John has no basis for anything he argues -- it’s all just assertion after assertion after assertion. Like this:

Stephen Hawking in A Brief History Of Time starts with this anecdote.

A well-known scientist (some say it was Bertrand Russell) once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: “What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.”

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, “What is the tortoise standing on?”

“You’re very clever, young man, very clever,” said the old lady. “But it’s turtles all the way down.”

Well, it isn’t turtles all the way down. But that’s what you have in someone like John -- the escape into unreason!

“Standing behind this image of god is this image of god. Standing behind this image of god is this image of god. Standing behind this image of god is this image of god. Standing behind this image of god is this image of god. Standing behind this image of god is this image of god. Standing behind this image of god is this image of god. Etc.”

He’s like a man adrift on a raft upon the oceans of his own mind.

-- Hop-Frog