 Off-Topic / Debate / 22653
Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap in California)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:59:09 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:

<snip>

Prepare and salt the meat in a particular way
and it remains useful far after the time other meat has already spoiled.

<snip>

-- Hop-Frog

So the other day I take the day off work to help my dad pour concrete.

Talking to the 'cement truck guy' who has been in the business for 40 years (and
a week away from retirement on that particular day...)

I'm asking these questions that have been bouncing around in my mind snince I
was a kid, but not having access to 'concrete truck guys', I never had the
opportunity before to get these questions answered.

So it's like, "What happens if the truck breaks down on the highway and it has a
few yards of concrete inside and the concrete dries?"

Turns out that they actually don't throw away the mixer--they send a peon in
there with a jackhammer.

But here's the interesting bit--if you get to the wet concrete before it hardens
and throw a bag of sugar in there and mix it up, you have days before the
concrete hardens.

A bag of sugar? I ask.  Yep--a bag of sugar will keep yards of concrete soft for
a long time.

This I did not know.  Then I started wondering about how this was discovered in
the first place.  I know that concrete has been around since before Roman times,
but how would this conversation take place?

"Umm, we need a way to slow down the cure time of concrete!"

"Hey I know, let's throw some sugar in there and see what happens!"

I also heard that its about 120 years after date of pouring when concrete is at
it's strongest point.

I just thought of the sugar bit when Richard mentioned the salt and meat.

Dave K
-maybe this should be in o.t.geek.  Eh, whatever