 Off-Topic / Debate / 22634
22633  |  22635
Subject:
Newsbits -- the Usual
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:38:39 GMT

9/11 Commission Could Subpoena Oval Office Files

“It’s obvious that the White House wants to run out the clock here,” he said in an interview in Washington. “It’s Halloween, and we’re still in negotiations with some assistant White House counsel about getting these documents ? it’s disgusting.”

He said that the White House and President Bush’s re-election campaign had reason to fear what the commission was uncovering in its investigation of intelligence and law enforcement failures before Sept. 11. “As each day goes by, we learn that this government knew a whole lot more about these terrorists before Sept. 11 than it has ever admitted.”

Free speech kept off U.S. streets

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?GXHC_gx_session_id_=7005a3db99f9af20&pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_PrintFriendly&c=Article&cid=1067121006945&call_pageid=968332188854

“I mean, somebody who was going to attempt an assassination wouldn’t be carrying a protest sign. He’d be carrying a sign saying: I love George!’”

Presser agrees: “It seems these security zones’ for protesters have very little to do with the president’s physical security and a whole lot to do with his political security.”

“Just as the terrorists who attacked the World Trade Center were careful to blend in and stayed away from mosques,” he says, “anyone who had ill will toward the president could just put on a pro-Bush T-shirt and, under this policy, he’d be allowed to move closer to the president by the Secret Service.”

Strange Bedfellows

http://www.thenation.com/docprint.mhtml?i=20031110&s=rozen

Sadoon Al-Bunnia is one of three principals in one of Iraq’s oldest companies, the Al-Bunnia Trading Company. The Iraqi firm has become a major subcontractor for US firms working under US government contracts in Iraq. But, as documents obtained by The Nation from the Lugano office of the Swiss Federal Commercial Registry show, Sadoon Al-Bunnia is also a founding partner of a Swiss-registered firm called the Malaysian Swiss Gulf and African Chamber (MIGA), which the US government and the United Nations Security Council have designated as funders of Al Qaeda.

Big Bucks in Iraq

http://www.thenation.com/docprint.mhtml?i=20031110&s=shorrock

Many observers, including even US businessmen and Iraqis who favored “regime change” in Iraq, agree. They say the shock therapy being applied in Iraq will concentrate wealth in the hands of large US and Iraqi corporations, particularly the family-owned businesses that have won the majority of subcontracts from Bechtel and Halliburton. “I like the analogy of Wal-Mart coming into a town,” says Timothy Mills, an attorney in the Washington law firm Patton Boggs who represents several US and foreign corporations that have contracted with the US government and are doing business in Iraq. “The downtown dies, Wal-Mart grows and the owners of local businesses are displaced. The effect of Iraq’s new foreign investment law for the medium and small-sized Iraqi business could be very detrimental and could result in even more concentration of capital in Iraq.” With the US Export-Import Bank providing $500 million to insure US investors, he added, “If I was an Iraqi and I was political, I’d say this was a ploy to favor US companies and let them steal the riches of Iraq.” In a similar vein, Fareed Yasseen, an adviser to Adnan Pachachi, a member of the Governing Council, says that the CPA has made its economic plans “completely out of the Iraqi context.” He worries that the CPA will sell state-owned assets to cronies of the previous regime and create a “new class of oligarchs” in Iraq. “They haven’t taken into account Iraq’s reality at all,” he says.

It’s all about how it plays in soundbites. None of this plays well on the 11 O’clock news -- but it’s still probably closer to the truth than most people will allow.

There is the appearance of the poltically expedient -- and then there is the actual facts surrounding the matter. That’s the White House disconnect right there -- the “show” versus what is real.

If this were a card game, the “tell” would be Shrub’s near garrulousness of late. He doesn’t say anything important or meaningful, but he is trying to make his face-time before the cameras.

-- Hop-Frog