 Off-Topic / Debate / 22554
Re: WARNING, VERY DISTURBING IMAGES (was Re: Holy crap! )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 05:22:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

   And yet you support the notion that these people (the government) should be the only ones with weapons.

I’m sorry it had to be said.

-Mike Petrucelli

Well, the armed forces, the police, the reserves... any group that’s “well regulated”.

Again I’d like any logical justification of private ownership of guns and how that would prevent this sort of thing.

Oh wait, you own your guns and Iraq still happened, the redistricting of Texas still happened, Ahnold was still elected, companies are still taking their factories off-shore, Dubya is still a moron.

I’m sorry, but that had to be said.

I shudder to think how bad it would be without our final check. Besides you are still agruing for an untested, let alone an unproven, concept. There is still no evidence supporting your claims that Democracy or Republics can exist without an armed citizenry.

-Mike Petrucelli

Canada. Sure we may have people who have guns in the house--my uncle still has his shotgun from his hunting days--but it’s not mandated under law. We have no “2nd” or comparable clause thereof. I haven’t heard a Canadian say “I have my gun for the ‘final check’”. When recent legislation passed recalling guns and having ‘amnesties’ for gun owners to turn in certain weapons, they were turned in. Why? Because we don’t buy into the delusion that guns solve problems--we don’t keep guns in our homes for the possible future that would necessitate a “final check”. And yet, somehow our democracy goes on.

Funny that.

You’re ignoring the voting process that happens every 2 years. You’re ignoring that a president stepped down from power in the ‘70’s. All of which happened, not because there were guns in homes, but because it was the will of the people.

Why is your dollar worth one dollar? Is there any physical reason why a bu’cs worth a buck? It’s just paper and ink. At one time the dollar directly corellated to a hunk of gold somwhere. Not so much any more. Gold isn’t needed to ‘prop up’ your dollar, just as guns aren’t needed in the hands of the average Joe to ‘prop up’ your democracy.

See, I think it’s tems like “final check” that just rub me the wrong way. “When all h-e double hockey sticks breaks out, I have my gun!” Your last revolution worked because of the gun. Probably had other factors like articulate folk standing up to a tyranny thrown in the mix, but whatever--it worked. In the collective view of Americans it worked so well, in fact, that it has taken on an air of “mythos”. Revolutions fix, even as a last resort, the problems. Guns, as a ‘final check’, will be our salvation. It’s like the end of Dr Strangelove--riding the nuclear bomb, down to your very own destruction, and yet somehow you’re okay with that.

I just don’t buy into that mythos.

Dave K