 Off-Topic / Debate / 22491
Re: Holy crap! (was Re: The partisian trap in California)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:04:52 GMT

   What more evidence do you want that you are a blinkered bigot? The amount of good done in the name of Jesus Christ alone is incalculable. But you are unable to acknowledge it.

I think I’m going to require more proof than your say so -- esp. when practically everything you communicate here is a deeply slanted, bigotted statement. As a matter of fact, I’d like an analysis of statements I have made and how they show me to be the “one who is strongly partial to one’s own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ” in this forum. Most commonly my more provocative statements are merely in response to your tired message of intolerance.

As a general observation, I have tried to defend many groups in this forum without any identification with that group myself. Often, and esp. in this thread, I am defending those groups against your messages of hate and intolerance. Portions of this thread wouldn’t even exist except for my attempts to put down your rabidly prejudicial psycho Xtian doublespeak against elements within Islam.

Let it be well understood that I am not a Muslim. From a personal perspective, I think Muslims are just as misguided as Xtians in their views. From a personal perspective, I think most -- if not all -- “believers” must be nuts to believe the things that they do. All I am really saying there though is that all those religions are just not for me. But to each his own. As a deeply patriotic american, one of my political ethics is that of religious freedom. Therefore I tend to respect people that are members of organized faiths; or at least I respect them as well as they deserve -- my respect of a person’s religious beliefs is not unconditional. The more they try to convince me of a religious viewpoint the less they thereby respect my own views. I respond to intolerance with venom whenever possible.

You know, Mike P and Kooties are both Xtians -- I think. I don’t go after them for making outrageous statements about other groups because they don’t. They have their beliefs and are respectful of others that may have differing beliefs. We might argue pasionately about our different views on things, but at the end of the day I don’t think Mike P or Kooties are bad or irritating people -- to the contrary, I think they are generally good people I’d be pleased to meet in the flesh someday. I would hope they’d have the same opinion of me although I know I often provoke them rhetorically. I hope they know that’s all it is.

You are not a likewise tolerant person yourself, and have been specifically called out for your language of hatred and intolerance. Rather than apologize, it’s just more of them same from you ad nauseam. I would also tend to disbelieve you if you claimed some of your language here was just intended as provocative -- there are people here that appear to know you in real life, and they have weighed in with the view that your language is intolerant. Stangl said that in person you seemed tolerant of different views, but that “some of the things you say in here border on insanity sometimes.” That’s not exactly a ringing endorsement from someone that has actually met you, is it?

BTW, what is all this good being done in the name of Jesus Christ? When and what did you have in mind?

The Crusades? The Inquisition? The Salem Witch Trials? The Holocaust? The killing of abortion clinic doctors? The war on Iraq?

Did you know that Shrub once called the invasion and occupation of Iraq a “Crusade”?

I’m not saying that no good is done in the name of different gods of different faiths. I am saying that just as much good can be done with or without faith or organized religion. Faith and religion are irrelevant to people helping people.

Like patriotism, religion is often used as a cloak for what is otherwise plainly and simply the language of hatred and intolerance. Like patriotism, religion is often another excuse to point up difference rather than similarity.

Religions often point up messages of “us versus them” rather than noting the more obvious fact that there is only an “us.”

In the U.S. particularly, I would hope for a greater show of unity between people that despite irrelevant personal differences (like religion) should all be bound together by the same political purpose of maintaining a free society. Instead, I often see flag waving used by some people for the express and distorted purpose of putting other groups of people under legal sanction. I have certainly had a first-hand view of your supposed “Xtian love” become a screen for false statements and bigotry against Muslims and the Islamic faith in this very thread.

   The funniest part of all is that you truly believe that if religion were to disappear tomorrow the world would be a better place for it.

Absolutely. For one thing, all of your zealous lying about other religious groups might cease overnight.

-- Hop-Frog

Imagine

-- John Lennon

Imagine there’s no heaven,