 Off-Topic / Debate / 22432
22431  |  22433
Subject:
But see, it was never about the oil...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:47:59 GMT

"
But Republican senator Lindsey Graham, who backed the loan, said: "It's very
hard for me to go home and explain that we have to give $20bn to a country
sitting on £1 trillion worth of oil."
"

Sure I understand the premise that "why would you give someone money when they
have assets that can be converted into money?"

Beyond that, however, is the basic premise for this whole fiasco--"we're in Iraq
to help them!  It was never about the oil!"  And a country recently blown up,
saddled with a rather large debt load really needs their 'liberators' to add yet
more debt to their destroyed country.

Funny how the oil seems to come up in every conversation--what was the first
sites secured?  The hospitals?  The food/water distribution venues?  Or was it
the oil fields?

As someone else around here points out, "Follow the money".