 Off-Topic / Debate / 22288
Re: The partisian trap in California
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 14:04:43 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   Arnold claims in one breath that he does not deny all the stories about grabbing and immediately continues that “this is not (him).” Well, if he admits he did it, then it is him. What is this fairy tale that it isn’t. He wants to imply that none of the stories are true, but not actually say that none are (the classic non-denial denial). Just another politician.

I would add to that the observation that his apology was also an oddly flaccid non-denial denial. He didn’t say “I apologize for grabbing these 15+ women, which was wrong of me to do.” Instead, he said, “I apologize if I offended anyone,” which is a weak, conditional statement hinging on the sentiments of the recipient of the action rather than on the wrongdoing of the initiator.

Dave!