 Off-Topic / Debate / 22233
Re: Iraqi reconstruction funding
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 18:12:05 GMT

   Um, why would a new government not repudiate a former government’s debt in this case? It was good enough for the Soviets. An important lesson would be dealt to banks and governments, don’t loan to dictators because you might not get paid back.

I like your thinking on this, Lar. I’m with you 100%.

Of course, the “powers that be” might have a different view of these ideas. It makes one want to inquire as to their motives, of course.

   Is that neccesarily a good idea? What happened to the idea of giving the oil to the people?

What people? The future consumers of Iraq, you mean? They don’t count until they earn some scratch so that we can sell them Coke, McD’s, KFC, and Starbucks. You know, the only stuff that matters.

   Um, why would that matter one way or the other? If it wasn’t, what does it matter what people think? If it was, how exactly does transferring money from US taxpayers hide that fact from anyone?

You know, it’s not even the amount of $$$ that bothers me; I just keep thinking of what else $87 billion might have bought us instead. Everyone should wonder that the next time they vote for president.

Vote for someone that really wants to roll back the costs of govt.; or alternatively, that really wants to create value for the monies spent. Our beloved two parties aren’t probably going to give us any real options so you may have to vote independent or green.

I’m just sick of the empty rhetoric of both the Republicans and the Democrats. It is my understanding that the Democrats plan a lot of pointless posturing before they just fork over the $87 billion anyway. Why bother with this stuff? Ask yourself who they are trying to impress with these empty gestures.

-- Hop-Frog