 Off-Topic / Debate / 22135
Re: Sticking my gun where it doesn't belong...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:46:22 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

   Well lets see... According to that site only 0.00004 percent of people decide to abuse freedom by killing others with guns. And only 0.00006 percent of people decide to kill themselves with guns. So in the “supposedly freeest society” only 0.00010 percent of the population abuses that freedom and shoots themself or others. Now personally I don’t care if someone decides to shoot themselves, its their choice to make and only physically affects them. So only 0.00004 percent of the population is abusing their freedom to the detriment of society. Not exactly what I would call a rampant problem.

If I’m reading your statistics right, then I think the actual figure is 0.004 percent. I selected only homicide-related firearm deaths, yielding a total of 10,801, which represents 0.0039 percent. If my calculation is wrong, someone please correct me. Still, .0039% isn’t an overwhelming percentage, I grant you.

Well using the stats from here: http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=22117

11,071 divided by 275,264,999 equals 4.0219425E-5 or 0.000040219425

Therefore, with that figure in mind, I expect that you’d have no problem with 0.000399% of the population exerting tighter and tighter control over your life and freedoms. After all, if 0.004% is nothing to worry about, then 1/10 of that amount is certainly no trouble at all, since such an infinitessimal figure represents a harmless portion of the population.

Of course, the 0.000363% figure I cite is based on the number of US Legislators, + the President, his Cabinet, and a handful of State lawmakers totaling, let’s say, 1,100 people. Surely you can’t be worried about that tiny portion of the population!

1,100 divided by 275,264,999 equals 3.9961492E-6 or 0.0000039961492

And for the record, I trust that 0.000004 percent of the population the least out of everyone.

-Mike Petrucelli