 Off-Topic / Debate / 22089
22088  |  22090
Subject:
"MP3s Are Not the Devil" By Orson Scott Card
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 23:45:40 GMT

MP3s Are Not the Devil By Orson Scott Card

http://www.ornery.org/essays/warwatch/2003-09-07-1.html

I think there are some people that might have missed this elsewhere but that also read this author’s stuff. I have yet to read anything by him but this article, but I understand he’s supposed to be quite a good writer. He doesn’t really add much to the discussion, it’s just a reasonable discussion of the issues. Concise.

What is underneath said discussion is how our system belongs to the highest bidders -- in this case, copyright laws are dictated by the various publishing industries. See? That’s the point not to miss: voter rights, the idea of a commons, does not figure into most legislation. What matters more is which special interest lobbyists are going to help our legislators out with an infusion of cash.

Let’s not forget how we got here and what we need to fix it: campaign finance reform. Things like MP3s are just a sideshow attraction/distraction. Real change will not arrive until we remember the simple fact that campaign finance reform is at the heart of all things legislative and important to the people. Campaign finance reform will not solve all issues of political corruption, but it will help to drive corruption into ever tighter areas. Don’t forget to close up all the offshore honeypots while you’re at it, I figure the average DC politician hates the idea of closing down offshore havens just as much as does the average high-level drug dealer.

The fact is: this isn’t even a representative democracy. You don’t count at all compared to a lobbyist with cash in hand.

-- Hop-Frog