 Off-Topic / Debate / 21643
Re: Oct. Report Said Defeated Hussein Would Be Threat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:19:45 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Marchetti wrote:

declassified portions of a still-secret National Intelligence Estimate
(NIE) released Friday by the White House show that at the time of the
president's speech the U.S. intelligence community judged that possibility to
be unlikely. In fact, the NIE, which began circulating Oct. 2, shows the
intelligence services were much more worried that Hussein might give weapons
to al Qaeda terrorists if he were facing death or capture and his government
was collapsing after a military attack by the United States.

  NPR had a report on that very issue way back November or so, but the Liberal
Media Conspiracy kept it out of the headlines since then...

  Pardon my cynicism, but here's how I think it'll happen, if it happens:
  If a chem/bio attack occurs, Saddam will be implicated either correctly or
not, and Bush will say "I was right to order the invasion; look at what a
villain he really is!"
  Of course, Bush will never say "Saddam supplied the weapons only because I
ordered the invasion" or "Saddam supplied the weapons that my Dad supplied to
him," but who's counting?

  And there's still plenty of time for the US to plant a stash of chem/bio
weapons somewhere in Iraq and say "See?  Here they are!"

     Dave!