 Off-Topic / Debate / 21632
21631  |  21633
Subject:
Look who's rewriting history now
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 01:46:37 GMT

You paying attention, Stefan? Your optimism and love of country is misplaced when it comes to the schmuck living in the White House.

Look who’s rewriting history now

http://www.sunspot.net/templates/misc/printstory.jsp?slug=bal-op.witcover.18jul18§ion=/printstory

WASHINGTON -- While the world continues to parse President Bush’s 16 little words in his State of the Union message on Iraq’s alleged try to buy nuclear fuel in Africa, it seems to have ignored his latest contribution to, as he likes to say, “revisionist history.”

In an exchange with reporters the other day after the White House visit of U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, the president offered this to explain why he invaded Iraq:

“The fundamental question is, did Saddam Hussein have a weapons program? And the answer is, absolutely. And we gave him a chance to allow the inspectors in, and he wouldn’t let them in. And therefore, after a reasonable request, we decided to remove him from power, along with other nations, so as to make sure he was not a threat to the United States and our friends and allies in the region.”

What? Unless memory fails, Mr. Hussein did let the weapons inspectors in, and they had to be withdrawn for their own safety when Mr. Bush decided to bypass them and the U.N. Security Council and proceed with his invasion of Iraq.

Surprisingly, neither The New York Times nor many other newspapers paid any attention to this colossal misstatement. The Washington Post, in a Page One story focusing on the faulty intelligence controversy, did note that Mr. Bush had said he had given the Iraqi dictator “a chance to allow the inspectors in, and he wouldn’t let them in.”

Again, Shrub is the MOST irresponsible prsident we have ever had. With Shrub it is Lie after lie after lie after lie. If Oval Office Oral is cause for impeachment, then I’d have to think that Shrub’s continual reworking of the facts of reality would surely be cause for at least some investigation. Instead, every investigation about these endless screw-ups are being deep sixed by those in power (i.e. a republican held congress).

Passing It Along

Here’s another sentence in George Bush’s State of the Union address that wasn’t true: “We will not deny, we will not ignore, we will not pass along our problems to other Congresses, to other presidents and other generations.”

Shrub’s middle name must be “pass the buck.”

-- Hop-Frog