 Off-Topic / Debate / 21276
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:16:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli wrote:

I would hazard a guess that most of the homicides are also due to 'armed'
people.  Imposing gun control on law abiding citizens will prevent and slow
down the number of guns getting into the hands of criminals.

No it doesn't. Take Austraila for example.
Here are some "pro-gun wacko" sites with statistics
http://www.888webtoday.com/beezley565.html
http://www.sweetliberty.org/issues/guns/down_under.htm
http://www.fehq.org/public/guncontrol.htm
http://www.nrawinningteam.com/auresult.html
http://www.old-hippie.com/doc_files/polit/austrailian_gun_control.htm
Strangely enough I can not find any "anti-gun wacko" sites with
contradictiong claims.

  Here's one web reference that might be familiar to you:

http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=19250

And in that post I link to a site that specifically addresses the Australia
problem.  In particular, your citations (which in essence simply parrot the >same
statistics and might as well all be the same source) cleverly omit the actual
numbers involved, which are much more telling than the misleading percentage
figures.
  If I give one cupcake to aid Ethiopian famine relief, and I thereafter give
ten cupcakes, I can righty claim that my second donation is 1000% of my >first,
but does that really tell us anything?  Of course not, and if I omitted the
specifics of my donation, I would be guilty of deception, just as your sites >are
guilty.

Exactly why I called them "pro-gun wacko" sites. However I still can not find
any "anit-gun wacko" sites to refute them. Somewhere in the middle lies the
truth.

Less guns in
total can only mean less guns for criminals.  Less guns to steal from law
abiding citizens and stores means less guns to buy on the black market,
therefore making it more difficult to purchase an illegal gun.

Criminals cannot have guns *if* there are no guns to have.

Do you think we can succesfully invade every country with a gun >>manufacturing
plant and shut them all down?  I think it is easier just to allow law >>abiding
citizens to be on equal terms as the criminals.

That's a straw man argument.  Perhaps you could rephrase it?

No it isn't, I simply made the mistake of assuming we all knew that as long as a
single country still makes guns, criminals will have them.

-Mike Petrucelli