 Off-Topic / Debate / 21242
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 2003 14:51:15 GMT

[snip]

But what was the motivation? All we know is what the Government tells us.

Does it matter? (If you think so, why?)
If all they had were motivation, they'd still be looking after the means to
kill. Endlessly, or at least with a high chance they'd never actually "act".

You can make a bomb with common household cleaners, not to mention you can
pretty much buy anything on the black market. What I want to know is why they
did it. I don't buy the governments story that they were just crazy.

[snip]

So what is your recourse if the Government breaks the law?

I don't know if I can provide an answer to that... {why} would a government
break the law, if they're in a position to make new ones? :-)

Just because they make a new law doesn't mean it is constitutional.

[snip]

Besides so long as a
single manufacturer of guns exists on the planet, criminals will always >>have
them. The police actually stop criminals less than 0.01 percent of the >>time.
Mainly they investigate after the fact or are the criminals themselves.

You can't prove that. And I think you're wrong, or else you're living in a >real creepy environment...

No, it is a matter of public record, read the paper sometime. The police
virtually never prevent a crime they simply investigate and arrest the
perpatrator after the fact.

[snip]

I belive people are responsible for their own actions. If they choose to >>live on
that island they should be made to pay the cost.

What if they were born there... don't they have a right to live in their
homeland? Come on!

They have a right to live where ever they want, but I belive it is their
responsiblity to provide for their well being, not the government's.

[snip]

Well that is what it means in the US. The only cases of starvation or true
poverty are either cases of abuse or self-imposed.

And how many of those are there?
I think you're deliberately choosing to ignore a population that does not fit
your view of the poor...

A few dozen cases a year out of over 280 million isn't exactly a "population" I
am ignoring. It is as I said cases of abuse or the odd nut-ball who imposes it
on himself.

[snip]

Well I don't know the average income but I do know that "poor" people are
ten times more likely to be overweight in the US.

That hardly proves anything. Overweight people also tend to die of heart
diseases a lot more than skinny ones.

It means that the idea that poor people are starving is completly untrue in the
US. In the US being poor means you can't afford a DVD player to go with your TV.

[snip]

Aren't you being pessimistic?

If that is what you call realistic then yes.

Relax... chances are that you won't ever have to revolt against the
government: for every thing they do which you dislike, you can always come up
with something they can't bear, and the balance is guaranteed in the long run
- life would be so boring otherwise! :-D

Well one can always hope they will spontaneously reinstate the constitution as
our basis of government and stop trying run everyone's life for them.

-Mike Petrucelli