 Off-Topic / Debate / 21227
21226  |  21228
Subject:
What the...?!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:41:47 GMT

Shot burglar wins right to sue Martin

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/2987642.stm

I don’t claim to know the details of this case beyond what is stated in the linked articles, but I think I have to disagree with some of the broader conclusions reached in the case.

A person’s home should be respected, and when it is not - those trespassing should not necessarily expect to avoid personal harm or even death.

They are giving the criminal the right to sue his intended victim. If a person tried to invade my home -- to hurt my loved ones or myself, or just to take some of our things -- I can assure you that they are not going to be leisurely questioned about their specific motives or if they happen to be on their way out. In fact, I think I can pretty much guarantee a “shoot first, ask questions later” policy when it comes to home invasion.

Personally, I am really sick of the quasi-parental role governments now seek to fulfill. It’s as if they were trying to settle a disagreement between violent siblings.

The consideration that the intended victim may or may not be a mentally unbalanced person is entirely a separate question. If he has slipped through the cracks of their mental health system it is surely more a reason to forgive his actions than to punish him for them.

What am I not seeing or understanding here? What explains the legal postion taken by the government?

-- Hop-Frog