 Off-Topic / Debate / 21208
Re: Swift was Right! (He just named the wrong people...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:34:19 GMT

   lol what I meant was that his question was completely specious to the topic:-)

How so? I don’t happen to agree with the conclusion being drawn, or at least implied, (that we are either as bad or almost as bad as DPRK... as if!) but the large number of incarcerations among the underclass strikes me as a sign of oppression in this country.

   The comparison was between leaders, not countries.

Then John’s right, it IS specious, used in this context.

You can’t lay 70 years of building up an underclass via income transfer, 50 years of futile drug warfare and increased loss of liberties, 40 years of failed social engineering, 30 years of failed tort reform, etc, etc, etc... all at the feet of this particular leader. These things are not all directly his fault (although he’s not doing anything to reverse them), and talking about black incarceration rates makes it sound like you think they are.

Bush is merely the leader that these failings of the government have enabled to come into power. In this context he’s a symptom not a cause. That’s not to say that I’d rather not be shut of him (just as I would rather have been shut of Slick, back when, and no doubt will in future be feeling about President Hillary in 2008), merely to say that you perhaps have cause and effect backwards.

   We have more people in jail per capita than the USSR did! If you don’t find that bothersome, that’s bothersome.

I think it’s bothersome, and hence I pointed it out.

Me too, and that’s why I was agreeing with you that it’s bothersome. You need to get better at figuring out when people are agreeing, and more careful at not disagreeing with them on that point or else it ends up sounding like you are disagreeing with yourself.

++Lar