 Off-Topic / Debate / 21095
21094  |  21096
Subject:
Counter-Intelligence
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 22:16:16 GMT

Some Analysts of Iraq Trailers Reject Germ Use

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/07/international/worldspecial/07TRAI.html?pagewanted=print&position=

American and British intelligence analysts with direct access to the evidence are disputing claims that the mysterious trailers found in Iraq were for making deadly germs. In interviews over the last week, they said the mobile units were more likely intended for other purposes and charged that the evaluation process had been damaged by a rush to judgment.

“Everyone has wanted to find the ‘smoking gun’ so much that they may have wanted to have reached this conclusion,” said one intelligence expert who has seen the trailers and, like some others, spoke on condition that he not be identified. He added, “I am very upset with the process.”

Bush Certainty On Iraq Arms Went Beyond Analysts’ Views

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A26487-2003Jun6?language=printer

During the weeks last fall before critical votes in Congress and the United Nations on going to war in Iraq, senior administration officials, including President Bush, expressed certainty in public that Iraq possessed chemical and biological weapons, even though U.S. intelligence agencies were reporting they had no direct evidence that such weapons existed.

In an example of the tenor of the administration’s statements at the time, the president said in the Rose Garden on Sept. 26 that “the Iraqi regime possesses biological and chemical weapons. The Iraqi regime is building the facilities necessary to make more biological and chemical weapons.”

But a Defense Intelligence Agency report on chemical weapons, widely distributed to administration policymakers around the time of the president’s speech, stated there was “no reliable information on whether Iraq is producing or stockpiling chemical weapons or whether Iraq has or will establish its chemical agent production facilities.”

The disparities between the conviction with which administration officials portrayed the threat posed by Iraq in their public statements and documents, and the more qualified reporting on the issue by intelligence agencies in classified reports, are at the heart of a burgeoning controversy in Congress and within the intelligence community over the U.S. rationale for going to war. The failure of the United States to uncover any proscribed weapons eight weeks after the end of the war is fueling sentiment among some Democrats on Capitol Hill and some intelligence analysts that the administration may have exaggerated the threat posed by Iraq.

Intelligence Historian Says CIA ‘Buckled’ on Iraq

http://www.reuters.com/printerFriendlyPopup.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=2891481

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The CIA bowed to Bush administration pressure to hype the threat of Saddam Hussein’s weapons programs ahead of the U.S.-led war in Iraq, a leading national security historian concluded in a detailed study of the spy agency’s public pronouncements.

“What is clear from intelligence reporting is that until about 1998 the CIA was fairly comfortable with its assessments on Iraq,” John Prados wrote in the current issue of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists.

“But from that time on the agency gradually buckled under the weight of pressure to adopt alarmist views,” he said. “After mid-2001, the rush to judgment on Iraq became a stampede.”

A CIA spokesman, Mark Mansfield, dismissed Prados’ conclusion, saying “The notion that we buckled under and adopted alarmist views is utter nonsense.”

Snip!

Much of U.S. prewar intelligence findings on Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction was flimsy but policymakers’ goals were clear, said Mel Goodman, a professor at the Pentagon’s National War College and director of the Intelligence Reform Project at the Center for International Policy in Washington.

“To deny that there was any pressure on the intelligence community is just absurd,” said Goodman, who quit in 1990 as a CIA analyst over alleged skewing of intelligence.

The Defense Intelligence Agency, in a classified September 2002 report, said it lacked enough “reliable information” to conclude Iraq was amassing chemical weapons, even as the administration was pushing for war, an official said on Friday.

I just wanted to document all of these “lies” for my debate pals.

Reall, it’s a shame we have any newsmedia at all that contradicts the edicts of our great and trustworthy leader. May he continue to lead us with the same fervor with which he conducted himself in the Texas Air National Guard!

That is to say, I’d prefer he led us by his conspicuous absence. ::Snicker::

-- Hop-Frog