 Off-Topic / Debate / 21061
21060  |  21062
Subject:
WMD MIA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2003 23:52:40 GMT

Evidence, Mr. President
Kucinich Leads 30 Members of Congress In Introducing A Resolution of Inquiry To
Force Administration To Turn Over Intelligence On Iraq’s Weapons Of Mass
Destruction

http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/oh10_kucinich/030605WMDInqREsShowUsEvidence.html

"It is long past time that the President and this Administration show its
evidence," stated Kucinich, the leader of the opposition to the war in Iraq in
the House. "Today, we are introducing a Resolution of Inquiry to compel the
White House to substantiate its claims. The President led the nation to war, and
spent at least $63 billion on that war, on the basis of these unfounded
assertions."

The Preception of Deception: Where Are the Iraqi Weapons?
Remarks by U.S. Senator Robert C. Byrd
June 5, 2003

http://www.senate.gov/~byrd/byrd_speeches/byrd_speeches_2003june/byrd_speeches_2003june_list/byrd_speeches_2003june_list_0.html

What amazes me is that the President himself is not clamoring for an
investigation. It is his integrity that is on the line. It is his truthfulness
that is being questioned. It is his leadership that has come under scrutiny. And
yet he has raised no question, expressed no curiosity about the strange turn of
events in Iraq, expressed no anger at the possibility that he might have been
misled. How is it that the President, who was so adamant about the dangers of
WMD, has expressed no concern over the where-abouts of weapons of mass
destruction in Iraq?

Indeed, instead of leading the charge to uncover the discrepancy between what we
were told before the war and what we have found - or failed to find - since the
war, the White House is circling the wagons and scoffing at the notion that
anyone in the Administration exaggerated the threat from Iraq.

In an interview with Polish television last week, President Bush noted that two
trailers were found in Iraq that U.S. intelligence officials believe are mobile
biological weapons production labs, although no trace of chemical or biological
material was found in the trailers. "We found the weapons of mass destruction,"
the President was quoted as saying.  Certainly he cannot be satisfied with such
meager evidence.

Robin Cook: Britain must not let Iran become the next Iraq
Rumsfeld's confidence trick
By Robin Cook (Tribune Media Services International)
Wednesday, June 4, 2003

http://www.iht.com/ihtsearch.php?id=98418&owner=(Tribune%20Media%20Services%20International)&date=20030605131230

Before the war he told us that Saddam Hussein had "large stockpiles of chemical
and biological weapons and an active program to develop nuclear weapons." After
the war he explained away the failure to find any of these stockpiles or
programs on the possibility that Saddam's regime "decided they would destroy
them prior to a conflict." You have to admire his effrontery.

But not his logic. The least plausible explanation is that Saddam destroyed his
means of defense on the eve of an invasion. The more plausible explanation is
that he did not have any large stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction.

[Note: The writer, a former British foreign secretary, was a member of Prime
Minister Tony Blair's cabinet before resigning over the decision to go to war
with Iraq. This comment was distributed by Global Viewpoint for Tribune Media
Services International.]

Do government insiders know more about the truth than we do?

-- Hop-Frog