 Off-Topic / Debate / 2105
Re: History as hearsay (was Re: 22/7 & infinities (was: Re: The nature of the JC god, good or evil?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 22:32:07 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message <37D64FD8.BBF4EB4B@voyager.net>...
I'm reading it... Not sure where it is going, but I will say this.
Morals are relative only to the extent that some are better than others.
I hold any morality that says it is OK to violate rights as inferior to
one that does not.

  I quite agree, and I know we all have different morals, but some are
better than others.  I don't think just because a moral is right to you that
it makes it right (which is what David seems to think).  I do think there is
a perfect moral code somewhere, that there has to be, and I do think it
would recognize what you (and I) see as most important - people's rights.

As to history being hearsay. Hmm... Sometimes. And sometimes not. I'd
like to think that the Holocaust is pretty well documented as having
actually happened. Calling it hearsay would do a disservice to the
millions who suffered atrocities at the hands of members of the species
(but not their fellow men... to do that to a person is to renounce your
right to be considered human).

   Let me put it this way.  I wasn't alive during WW2, I have met people
with numbers tattooed on their arms, but have not spoken to them about the
holocaust.  I have heard everything about it indirectly.  I believe it
happened, but the details are sketchy, at best.  But, that is fairly recent
history.  I find a lot of history about the Civil and Revolutionary wars
harder to believe, and anything before that is much much harder, nearly to
the point that I don't truly believe it, but do find it entertaining,
educational, and sometimes fascinating.  Another example of when I say
history is hearsay is our most recent wars - I know lots of people were
killed, many buildings were bombed, but I honestly don't feel that true
answers have been provided about who, what, when, where, why and how.  Even
if they have been, there is no way for me to know it.  I have heard a lot of
contradicting ideas and opinions, and even contradicting facts - so, as said
before, I don't take any of it for truth or give it a lot of importance in
my thoughts.  Not that it was not important to those involved, but they
probably have a little better idea of what was happening, right?

I, believe it or not, have a hard time reconciling my desire for the US
not to be the worlds policeman with my desire that we never allow things
like the Holocaust to happen again.

Where is the line? Do we allow one person to be killed, one thousand?
one million? When do we need to take a decision that our country is
threatened by atrocities being committed elsewhere.

   Yes, thats a tough one.  As our government is now, we don't have any say
in that anyway, so its uselss to argue about it.  Still, if we did have a
say, it would be very difficult to know when to jump in, and we'd all have
our own opinions about it.  I tend to think it is in our best interest to
put an end to things like that, too, but can't answer a hypothetical when is
it right to do so.

lugnet.