 Off-Topic / Debate / 21022
21021  |  21023
Subject:
It's a Holiday in Cambodia!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 22:24:19 GMT

Weapons Of Mass Disappearance
The war in Iraq was based largely on intelligence about banned arms that still haven’t been found. Was America’s spy craft wrong - or manipulated?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/printout/0,8816,455828,00.html

Where are Iraq’s WMDs?
The message was plain: Saddam’s weapons of mass destruction made war unavoidable. So where are they? Inside the administration’s civil war over intel

(Newsweek) http://www.msnbc.com/news/919753.asp?0cv=KB10&cp1=1

Standard Operating Procedure
By PAUL KRUGMAN

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/03/opinion/03KRUG.html?pagewanted=print&position=

“The mystery of Iraq’s missing weapons of mass destruction has become a lot less mysterious. Recent reports in major British newspapers and three major American news magazines, based on leaks from angry intelligence officials, back up the sources who told my colleague Nicholas Kristof that the Bush administration “grossly manipulated intelligence” about W.M.D.‘s.

And anyone who talks about an “intelligence failure” is missing the point. The problem lay not with intelligence professionals, but with the Bush and Blair administrations. They wanted a war, so they demanded reports supporting their case, while dismissing contrary evidence.”

Credibility Gap, Anyone?
by Jim Lobe

“WASHINGTON - When all three major U.S. newsweeklies--Time, Newsweek and U.S. News & World Report--run major features on the same day on possible government lying, you can bet you have the makings of a major scandal.

And when the two most important outlets of neo-conservative opinion--The Weekly Standard and The Wall Street Journal--come out on the same day with lead editorials spluttering outrage about suggestions of government lying, you can bet that things are going to get very hot as summer approaches in Washington.

The controversy over whether the administration of President George W. Bush either exaggerated or lied about evidence that it said it had about the existence of weapons of mass destruction (WMD) in Iraq before the U.S.-led invasion has mushroomed over the past week.

“This is potentially very serious,” said one Congressional aide. “If it’s shown we went to war because of intelligence that was ‘cooked’ by the administration, heads will have to roll--and not just little heads, big ones.”

The administration was already on the defensive last week as the controversy took off in Europe, particularly in Britain where Prime Minister Tony Blair found himself assailed from all directions for either wilfully exaggerating the intelligence himself or being “suckered,” as his former foreign minister Robin Cook called it this weekend, by Washington’s neo-conservative hawks, who started agitating for war even before the dust settled in lower Manhattan after the Sep. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.”

Iraqis Protest U.S. Presence, Women Body Searches

http://www.reuters.com/printerFriendlyPopup.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=2869433

“BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Thousands of Iraqi Muslims marched through Baghdad Tuesday, threatening violence unless U.S. troops withdraw from the country and venting their anger over body searches of women in the capital.

Many Iraqis welcomed the overthrow of president Saddam Hussein by the U.S.-led forces, but nearly eight weeks later, protests against the foreign military presence are growing and many say they want to run their country.

“We advise you to leave our country or you will make enemies out of us,” said Shi’ite cleric Muaaed al-Khazraji in a speech through a loudhailer. “Please go home and we will be very grateful because you got rid of Saddam.”

Snip

They also criticized U.S. moves to disarm Iraqis as part of efforts to restore law and order after the war.

“We need these weapons to defend our country against the Americans and any other occupier,” Nsyyaif said.

A power exists that is so mad and drunk with itself that no attempt was even made to fabricate evidence in justification of the war. Pretty astonishing.

Yes, the Shrub administration has complete and utter contempt for the american people. The truth is unimportant -- just give them what they want or go to jail under Patriot Act II!

-- Hop-Frog