 Off-Topic / Debate / 20955
20954  |  20956
Subject:
Educational Priorities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 19:36:53 GMT

"'Reading Rainbow' fights for survival"
http://www.cnn.com/2003/EDUCATION/05/29/reading.rainbow.ap/index.html#

NEW YORK (AP) -- In a plea for the life of "Reading Rainbow," host LeVar Burton
returned to a familiar setting: the stage where he picked up the PBS show's
seventh Emmy Award for best children's television series.

[snip]

"Reading Rainbow" has several strikes against it in the battle for funding. For
starters, it has no access to merchandise licensing deals, an increasingly
important part of PBS' funding scheme for children's shows. There are no
"Reading Rainbow" action figures to sell, no "Reading Rainbow" jammies to keep
kids warm at night.

And if our school system was great or literacy close to 100%, this story would
be less interesting.

A republic like our own depends upon an informed citizenry.  What does this
story tell you?

-- Hop-Frog