 Off-Topic / Debate / 20808
Newsbits: The Lies and Profits Continue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 18:22:47 GMT

"Halliburton has wider Iraq role"
http://cnnmoney.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&expire=&urlID=6217248&fb=Y&partnerID=2200

U.S. Rep. Henry Waxman (D-Calif.), who asked for more details on the
Halliburton contract, said, "It now appears ... that the contract with
Halliburton -- a company with close ties to the administration -- can
include 'operation' of Iraqi oil fields and 'distribution' of Iraqi oil."

Officials previously had said the multimillion-dollar contract only dealt
with putting out oil well fires and performing emergency repairs as needed.

--------------------------------

"Contract Much Larger Than Previously Known
US says Halliburton Deal Includes Operating Iraq Oil Fields"

"It's extremely troubling that our government is using taxpayer money to
deliver lucrative contracts to companies like Halliburton that have used
offshore subsidiaries to maneuver around restrictions on doing business with
state sponsors of terrorism," said spokesman Charlie Cray.

--------------------------------

"Consulting and Policy Overlap
Advisor Perle Has Given Seminars on Ways to Profit from Possible Conflicts
Discussed by Defense Board He Sits On "

But another person who attended the Feb. 27 meeting called Perle's
subsequent engagement with Goldman Sachs inappropriate. "That bothered me
because the title of the talk made it sound like he had the inside track on
what we were going to do," said this person, who asked to speak off the record.

Retired Rear Adm. Thomas Brooks, who served on the policy board during the
Clinton administration, said Perle's actions were "certainly questionable."

"It sounds like he's squeezing every nickel out of the Defense Policy
Board," he said.

--------------------------------

"Byrd Blasts Bush's Aircraft Carrier Use"
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=512&u=/ap/20030506/ap_on_go_co/iraq_bush_byrd_2&printer=1

and

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030506/capt.1052244914.bush_re104.jpg

[edit: is it just me or does the media LOVE pictures of Shrub looking like
an idiot?  Maybe he doesn't take another kind of photo...]

WASHINGTON - Questioning the motives of a "desk-bound president who assumes
the garb of a warrior," Democratic Sen. Robert Byrd on Tuesday reproached
President Bush for flying onto an aircraft carrier last week to declare an
end of major fighting in Iraq.

[edit: snip]

"To me, it is an affront to the Americans killed or injured in Iraq for the
president to exploit the trappings of war for the momentary spectacle of a
speech," he said.

And to those looking for the "smoking gun" let me remind you that Shrub's
administration claimed to know precisely where WMD were located.  To date,
they have zilch.  Monstrous -- simply and obviously, just like their thinly
concealed wheeling and dealing with big oil concerns.  Some of you have
tried to paint this as conspiracy hunting, but I just gave you CNN's take on
it. So just deal -- CNN is no friend of the left. You are running out of
wiggle room very quickly.

-- Hop-Frog