 Off-Topic / Debate / 20787
Re: Newsbits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 20:48:04 GMT

Being an avid X-Men reader for nearly twenty years now, I feel that I am at
least somewhat qualified to speak on this. First off this guy’s assertion
that this is an anti-Bush movie is stretching so much that even Mr.
Fantastic would have trouble matching him. . How is this for symbolism,
perhaps this was an anti-Clinton movie, after all Janet Reno is the one who
really liked to use the military on American soil, see David Koresch and
Elian Gonzales. Or how about this, Magneto could represent the more extreme
civil rights leaders, preaching separation by any means necessary. No I
don’t think either of these truly apply, but my leaps are not much different
than this author who is obviously twisting these works to fit his political
view.

The X-Men has always been a comic, with political undertones. It has always
been about prejudice, and how people deal with intolerance. The second
incarnation of the X-Men really tried to emphasize this by having members
represented by several different countries.  Storm from Africa, Colossus
from the Soviet Union, Wolverine from Canada, Nightcrawler from Germany,
Sunfire from Japan, Banshee from the UK, and Thunderbird was a native
American. They went out of their way to show diversity.

I do agree that the Patriot act, overwhelmingly approved by congress, has a
great deal of potential danger. It’s misuse could invade our sense of
privacy and security, but we must do something. Last week you posted an
article questioning how much Bush knew about the 9/11 attacks and why he
didn’t do more to prevent it. Now that Bush is doing something (Patriot act)
you presume that it is too intrusive. We can’t have it both ways,
unfortunately we must sacrifice a certain level of privacy for security, as
much as we dislike it, and I do.

-----------------------

"The X factor: CityLife critic hails the new X-Men movie as a classic. Has
his mutant mind finally snapped?"
http://www.lasvegascitylife.com/articles/2003/05/02/film/film1x.txt

The opening scene, for instance, is harrowing. A mutant (whom we later learn
is named Nightcrawler) enters the White House, teleporting his way through
Secret Service agents and into the Oval Office. There, the president cowers
amid 30 or more agents, their guns drawn, waiting for the mutant to break
down the door. Instead, he teleports through the room, viciously beating the
agents into submission, until it's just him and the Big Man, pinned to the
desk. Nightcrawler pulls out a dagger, ready to plunge it, but an agent
recovers enough to wing the assassin, who then disappears. The dagger is
left sticking in the desk; a note attached reads: "Mutant Freedom Now!"

[edit: snip]

The assault renews the political and public outcry for a Mutant Registration
Act, a gross erosion of civil rights on par with the Bush administration's
own Patriot Act. Leading the anti-mutant crusade is a wealthy former
military commander, William Stryker, played by Brian Cox (Manhunter, LIE),
who does his best John Ashcroft impression, as a man whose grievances and
psychopathology make him a dangerous administrative figure.

[Edit: Strongest mainstream criticism yet of Shrub?]

-- Hop-Frog