 Off-Topic / Debate / 20725
20724  |  20726
Subject:
Monday Morning News Roundup
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:35:04 GMT

"Crackdown on 'fat cat' riches:
Curbs loom on huge pay-offs for bosses who fail"

http://www.observer.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4656162,00.html

The scandal of the so-called rewards-for-failure culture, with huge pay-offs
being made to bosses of ailing companies, is set to end.

Amid mounting fury at the spectacle of boardroom fat cats walking away with
millions from 'golden goodbye' deals, The Observer can reveal that the
Government is planning to bring in measures that could lead to pay-offs
being capped at six months' salary.

[edit: And the U.S. will do what?]

----------------------------------

"Wall Street to seal settlement deal"

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2981865.stm

Wall Street's biggest names are set to announce they have reached a deal
with regulators over charges that they bamboozled investors during the boom
years of the 1990s.

The settlement is expected to cost 10 brokerages $1.4bn in fines, while two
of them - Citigroup unit Salomon Smith Barney (SSB) and Credit Suisse First
Boston - look likely to face fraud charges as well.

The other investment houses will probably face lesser charges.

BANKS IN THE DOCK
Citigroup
Credit Suisse First Boston
Morgan Stanley
Goldman Sachs
JP Morgan Chase
Merrill Lynch
Lehman Brothers
UBS
Deutsche Bank
Bear Stearns

[edit: speaks for itself hopefully]

----------------------------------

"Rumsfeld heralds 'first strike' era"

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2982421.stm

US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has said that his country has entered a
new era in which it must pre-emptively seek out and prevent attacks by
terrorists and terrorist states.

[edit: as usual, totally off point and useless.  Does anybody outside the
Shrub administration hail our floundering economy or the fact that there is
in fact little to no change in "homeland security" despite the sacrifice of
key civil rights combined with the war of "empire"? To the contrary, it is
almost a certainty that we are creating radicalized Muslims all over the
world that will now be seeking our blood.]

-- Hop-Frog