 Off-Topic / Debate / 2071
Re: Misperceptions of America (Was: Conversation w/ a LEGO Rep)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 21:05:11 GMT

Scott Edward Sanburn wrote:
Maybe a greater percentage of minorities do crimes than the majority. I feel
like I am a broken record here. Does it really matter, all of these issues?

Yes, it matters.

It
sounds like you are implying that minorities are just victims of one way or
another. It is free choice to do crime, it is not forced on people. If you do
the crime, you do the time. It is just that simple.

It's simple in a homogenous culture.  But our society is anything but
homogenous.  I'm not saying that crime is forced on anyone.  But we are all,
to some degree, products of our environment.

I am *NOT* saying to not punish criminals.  I am not saying to give money to
people to give them some fictional edge.  I am saying that, statistically,
there is something (or some things) wrong.  And it needs to be fixed at the
source.  To ignore it is an exercise of criminal apathy.

Cheers,
- jsproat