 Off-Topic / Debate / 20695
Re: La belle province
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:04:34 GMT

No it isn't.  Where?  Cites please.  The only law that I know that was
discrimitory where language is concerned is, again, from one province.
Something about signs containing only one language--by law.

Ya, I was wondering about that myself. Why is it that in all the other
provinces, signs are in two languages but in (at least in some parts of)
Quebec, they're only in one (french). I'm not talking about shop signs and
suchlike, I'm talking about road signs.

Actually I've never seen an English road sign in Quebec, but then again, I
haven't been looking for one.

Isn't that a bit discriminatory? It's always confused me and I wonder about
it every time I go back to Canada. No one else in Canada can explain it either.

Like a woman, we're a mystery.

What does it mean? Does it mean that those that don't speak french are not
welcome to travel freely in Quebec? That was about the most benign
conclusion I could come to.

It means that, for most, you think a little harder before you hop in a car
and drive to Quebec--tourism dollars can be spent just as well in 'English
friendly' places.

PERSONALLY (and as someone that supports the right of secession) I think the
rest of Canada should either insist that Quebec play by the same rules as
everyone else in Canada, or cut them loose and be rid of them.

Ah it's a fine line we tread--make all the provinces adhere to a 'cookie
cutter' mentality--we're all the same?  Or have 'distinct society' clauses
on a federal level that 'protects' the distinctness of certain provinces.

There was much bally-hooing a few years ago when all the highway signs in
Ontario were being changed to encompass both languages.  This was also
around the same time that Quebec had the "French Only" mandate passed down
for privately owned signage.

I have no issues with seeing 'Ouest' and 'West' on a road sign on Ontario's
highways.  I think it's 'uniquely Canadian.  I also don't seem to have
problems driving around Quebec with French only signs--I do make it to the
ski hills.

That's the 'background noise' of living in this country.  But to hear
certain groups cry 'oppression!' and 'discrimination!' all the time, and yet
when 'called to task', for the most bit there's no substance behind it, it
really makes me wonder.

If Quebecers wish to form their own country, then it has to be a decisive
and complete split--and that's not what is presented during every
referendum--the question was convoluted last time--most folks didn't know
which way to answer--does "yes" mean i want to leave Canada completely or
stay with Canada, or be a part of Canada but separate?

Let's see if I can google a copy of the question...

Here's the question and part of the problem with it--

"
The question reads: "Do you agree that Quebec becomes sovereign after having
made a formel offer to Canada of a new economic and political partnership
within the context of the Bill on the future of Quebec and the agreement
signed on June 12,1995." Parizeau immediately claimed his question was
clearer and shorter than the one posed in the 1980 referendum.

   However, it did not take long for Non leaders and advertisements to
hammer away that: a Yes would lead to independence regardless of the outcome
of the negotiations; there would be no second referendum, so it is different
from Rene Lévesque's proposition; the word `country' as in sovereign country
is purposely left out and so is the text of the `partnership' in order to
confuse the voters. (Le Droit, 16 Sept.'95) It is also quite possible that
the uniformed voter could think the `partnership' between Canada and Quebec
has already been accepted in the`agreement signed on June 12'. Earlier,
Chrétien had been at pains to point out, "It's a mirage. It is still a
proposition for separation, but they don't have the guts to say they are
separatists." (SouthamStar Network 13 June'95) The tone of the language
tells us the form of the question is considered crucial in a referendum.
"

from site:

http://www.uni.ca/dialoguecanada/trent_guide.html

I read many things in the paper at the time of the referendum--folks were
thinking that Canada and a separate Quebec would both use the same currency,
have the same military forces, and basically be as it is now, except Quebec
wold be a country in and of itself--forming political ties on a national
level instead of on a provincial level.

In a world that, in many ways, is becoming more unified (EU and such), to
see a group of folks so vehemently opposed to growth and unity is
frightening.  The separatists scream 'Discrimination' and yet they have
instituted laws that discriminate against the English minority.  They yell
'Oppression' and yet when, again, the Native Americans, the majority of the
population of northern Quebec, even suggested that they would like to stay
with the ROC should Quebec separate, they say "No you can't".

Somehow that just bothers me.

If separatists want to separate, then a clear question stating just
that--"You're in or you're out."  Should ti be done on a region by region
basis?  I'd like it to be--but that's too much democracy.

As it stands, the Liberal win a few weeks ago, contrary to Mr. Prosper's
dismissal, is a message loud and clear that the separatists had better
rethink their ideas and ideals--they're not working for themselves or their
fellow countrymen.

Dave K