 Off-Topic / Debate / 20576
Re: La belle province
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:03:34 GMT

Is Puerto Rico ever going to be a state in and of itself?

Good question. No idea. I was IN Puerto Rico a few months back on biz and my
completely unscientific sample leads me to believe that PR likes things the
way they are. They have many of the benefits but not all of the
responsibilities. But I could be all wrong.

Puerto Rico occasionally holds referendums to decide whether to remain a
territory (technically a commonwealth) or become a state.  I found this on
the web as an example:
http://geography.about.com/library/weekly/aa031698.htm

I'm fairly sure PR would benefit greatly from becoming a state.  In the mid
1990's, according to the World Almanac, PR had the highest per capita income
in the Carribean, but that was still significantly lower than any of the US
states.  However, there are tax benefits (no federal income tax, for
example) that Puerto Ricans currently enjoy.

John