 Off-Topic / Debate / 20566
Re: La belle province
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:19:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:

<snip>

If Quebec got its way, what would you do to ensure the rights of the new
English speaking minority? From what I hear it's not very pleasant to be an
English speaker in Quebec (relatively speaking, mind you... I haven't heard
of any ethnic cleansing, thank goodness) as it is.

Then the English-speaking Quebecans would seccede themselves... ;-)

Pedro
(adept of City-states)

Doesn't Texas every once in a while talk about being 'separate' or is that
just a figment of my imagination...

Nope. They're the only (?? (1) ) state that joined by treaty after being an
independent republic rather than being an original founder (that ratified
the constitution as the means of joining) or a state formed from unorganised
territory that was obtained by purchase or conquest.

K, my misremembery--I thought I read somewhere about a decade ago that there
were some Texans talking about forming a 'separatist' movement...

It is argued that since they were forcibly rejoined at the end of the Civil
War they no longer have the same status. But don't say that IN Texas!

1 - the California Republic being an unclear case, maybe CA too or maybe
not, depending on how you interpret things.

That is, until, as some Canadians talk about, Canada becomes the 51st state.

Is Puerto Rico ever going to be a state in and of itself?

Dave K