 Off-Topic / Debate / 2039
2038  |  2040
Subject:
Latter Day Saints (was:Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 17:33:33 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

PS - two points on Mormonism. I find it a fascinating sect. Never has
there been such a wide disparity between the writings of a sect (The
book of Mormon is pretty nutty) and the sect itself. Mormons, publicly,
are some of the nicest and hardest working christians out there. Having
food set aside for hard times is not a bad idea, really.

What's any more nutty about the BOM than about (the rest(?)) of the
Bible?  Tales are told of magic happenings that a careful analysis of
history doesn't support in both, right?

Which leads me to my second point. Were someone to force me to be
christian (a ludicrous thought experiment, but ...) but gave me a choice
of sect, I'd either choose Mormon (for the hard working aspects) or
Methodist (who seem to be the most tolerant).

I said much the same thing a while back about the LDS, but my runner-up
Christian sect would be Catholicism for all the cool magic they get to
play at in the name of religious work.  And what's the point in having a
religion if you're going to be soft and tolerant.  I respect the
hard-line crazies more, for at least standing up for their
out-of-the-ordinary beliefs.  I really like what I know of Mormon
history and that's one of my primary motivators.  I agree with the
comment that Mormons are good people too, I just don't see it as a disparity.

Has anyone here read _Saints_ by Orson Scott Card?  It's historical
fiction and I find it riveting.  I read Card for SF but this is one of
his best.

--Chris