 Off-Topic / Debate / 2030
Re: Libertarianism again.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 08:17:46 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote
Ruthlessly snipped so I could snipe at a few points

Moz (Chris Moseley) wrote:
Yes. How we do so is the question, not whether we do it at all.

Disagree. Whether we do it at all is INDEED the question. For those who
choose not to make provisions for their future, or choose not to decide,
still have made a choice. THEIR choice, THEIR consequences.

So tell me, how do we stop them taking what is ours by brute force, or
simply degrading our environment by dying in it? Even if you don't have
welfare you need some way to stop homeless people coming to live in
your street/mall/city.

I suspect I'm off the far left end of the USA scale. I think that the
government has an obligation to directly control natural monopolies

Well, that's a relief! We're safe from that, there ARE no natural
monopolies

Perhaps we disagree on what constitutes a natural monopoly. Perhaps
you are simply unwilling to admit that they exist. Example: how can
the USA have competing heads of state? Or is it a natural monopoly?
Or perhaps you could explain why the legislature felt it necessary to
impinge on the rights of the Bell Telephone company a few years ago.

I don't see that. But then I live in a country where the top 10% are
only 100x richer than the bottom 10%. The USA has it much worse.

Better, you mean, right? If you can only get to be 100x richer than the
poorest person you don't have much to shoot for, do you?

I'm glad you agree that shooting is an appropriate solution.

Moz