 Off-Topic / Debate / 2023
Re: God and the Devil and forgiveness (was Re: POV-RAY orange color)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 21:33:12 GMT

<37CE909B.EB040221@voyager.net> <FHFyw9.5nI@lugnet.com>

Not to be argumentative, but... :-)

:)

David Eaton wrote:
This may be semantics, but I just don't see it as "faith".

I tend to agree. Mostly semantics. However, I'm used to calling it "faith" just
to cover myself from getting into the whole "what is real?" argument. As I
said, some existentialist can come along and say: "You just THINK you've got a
human body! You're really a huge bug-eyed piece of cardboard equipped with a
Z-29 ethersystems brain unit. Proove me wrong!" And guess what, I can't PROOVE
the physical world "really" exists in any form outside of my own perceptions...
Hence, I just say I have faith in that. I take it as a given. It's fair to say
I define reality as that which my perceptions present. If you don't, you can't
say anything about 'reality' beyond "Cogito ergo sum".  As for how Descartes
drew God out of that, well.... suffice to say that even *he* didn't even buy
his own argument.

Well, actually, no. c/correct/can be used to predict things/ No theorem
is ever "correct".

True... I was trying to write summarily the scientific method out a little more
descriptively... details, details :)

Until we get over this hurdle of faith, I can't comment on ethics.

Not necessary... The only reason I brought it up was because I tend to think of
a code of ethics being associated with a religion. If your definition of a
religion included an ethical code, I don't really think that science provides
one, and therefore, it can't be a religion. However, if a religion doesn't
require an ethic, there's still a possibility of considering it a religion. (it
doesn't violate this prerequisite, at least)

Dave