 Off-Topic / Debate / 20133
Re: Lego Superhero Comic Book
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 04:22:04 GMT

This is why I love the Internet. Our fun little project has turned into a
religious and ethical debate.

As the co-author of the subject at hand, I feel obligated to weigh in here.
I'll admit, Jesse, your initial response rubbed me the wrong way. I was
going to write a reply at the time, but decided to let it go. As you noted,
I DID ask people to tell us what they thought. I didn't specify only
positive comments!

But I can't let it go a second time. My irritation was not as much with the
content of your post, but the tone. If you had simply said, "I liked the
comic but found the use of profanity troublesome because of ..." hey, cool,
no sweat. I'd have thanked you for your input and went on my merry way. I
wouldn't have changed a word of story, because I totally disagree, but I
would have at least respected your opinion.

But to offer this sort of moralizing under the guise of "improvements" is
annoying. You claim to be correcting our grammar. I went back and re-read
your original post, and none of your suggestions had anything to do with any
grammatical mistakes. They were all geared towards removing the profanity.
I've been writing professionally for six years. I know the value of good
grammar. My sister-in-law, who is herself a professional editor, edited the
text of the comic book. If you found a grammatical mistake that we missed,
by all means, please point it out. That would be a good example of useful
constructive criticism.

As for the profanity, whether or not the comic is read by kids is not my
problem. That's what parents are for. We used a few bad words because it fit
with the characters, not because we were trying to be subversive or
offensive. Profanity is a useful, effective means of characterization. And
let's try to keep some perspective here. A few "hells" and "damns" is about
as bad as we got. That's pretty tame. I did get a chuckle out of your
umbrage at the word "beer." That's a bad word now, too? I didn't know that.
Didn't Jesus turn water into wine at the wedding at Cana? Hey, if He doesn't
have a problem with booze, neither do I.

As long as you're dishing out "constructive criticism," here's some for you.
This sort of in-your-face moralizing does not work. It might make YOU feel
good about yourself, but it does nothing to convert people to your cause. It
makes people defensive, and when people are defensive, they don't listen. If
you had used a slightly less grating tone, I may have been more receptive.
Who knows, maybe as we're working on the script for Issue #2, your remarks
might have stuck in the back of my head.

So anyway, that's probably enough out of me. After all, what the %&*@# do I
know.

-Jason