 Off-Topic / Debate / 2003
2002  |  2004
Subject:
whatever we were debating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 12:35:19 GMT

I sent this reply to Larry instead of the debate group.  Couldn't figure out
where it was supposed to go.
-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
Newsgroups: lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date: Friday, August 27, 1999 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: 22/7 & infinities (was: Re: The nature of the JC god, good or
evil?)

<FH0z76.FnM@lugnet.com> <FH2vtD.A01@lugnet.com> <FH33sH.M82@lugnet.com> • <37c602bf.99869@lugnet.com>

Todd Lehman wrote:

Now here's a purely hypothetical question:  If you had a magic button • that
you could press to cause the instant extirpation of all religion from the
face of the planet (thus instantly and simultaneously transmuting • everyone
on the planet into athiests), would religion then cease to exist forever,
or would it just pop right back up again and within a few decades' time
resume flourishing?

I would think it would pop back up pretty quickly. Like I've said before
atheism is hard work (by that I mean a reasoned decision that there is
no god, not a mindless acceptance of whatever concept comes by)

While people are good and intelligent, that's not enough. There will
always be those who seek easy answers. That's where religion will start
back up, IMHO.

   But of course!  Thats where religion started in the first place - people
looking for answers and someone gave them one.  If Todd pushes that magic
button, it won't take some person more than a few minutes to realize their
is money to be made by providing answers to those who can't (from stupidity
or laziness) find them on their own.

(the world is not a perfect place and there is no way to make it
perfect, we can only make it better than it is now, or worse.)

   I think it could be a hell of a lot better.
--
   Have fun!
   John