 Off-Topic / Debate / 18681
Re: The Brick Testament parts the Red Sea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 23:39:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, John P. Henderson writes:

Regardless of all that though, the notion that a supernatural thing is real
simply because enough people believe is clearly not scientific.  Based on
that sort of thinking, are we to say that the world really was flat during
the Dark Ages and it magically became round later on?  Are we to say that
the universe actually revolved around the Earth until Copernicus suggested
otherwise?

Some VERY good science fiction has been done using that notion (that reality
is mutable, based on beliefs of the observers) or similar ones (in
particular I always enjoy a re-read of _The Practice Effect_ by David Brin)...

You, know, I always believed that the world was actually in
shades gray until World War II, since all the photos of before that tend to
be black and white.

what about paintings??? :-) I've seen color paintings from before the war
(Picasso's "blue period" presumably has to do with colors...)   :-)