 Off-Topic / Debate / 18503
Re: The Brick Testament parts the Red Sea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2002 20:05:13 GMT

Either way it's not cool to force a blessing
on someone.  For that matter, an unsolicited blessing on someone else's
behalf qualifies as black magic, since it's an invocation without consent...

Even in the middle of composing another post, I was struck by your words,
because they echo a similar ascertain you made which I didn't understand in
another debate.

How exactly is "force" used when I say to you "God bless you"?  It may be
insensitive to your beliefs, (but certainly no more than someone lampooning
someone else's religion, which I think we both agree anyone has the *right* to
do) but where is the coercion, where exactly is the wrong? (especially in the
light of the fact that an atheist *knows* that all of it is fictitious anyway!)

I'm sure you recognize by now that I am referring back to the "under God"
debate a while back.  If there isn't any *actual* force being brought to bear
on an individual to actually hold any particular belief, I don't understand how
this can be construed as the actual *establishment* of religion.  The phrase,
in essence, becomes a toss-away, neither requiring it to be believed and/or
spoken.

I am not arguing that "under God" should be or shouldn't be included in the POA
here; I'm just trying to get a firm grasp on the argument *against* it.

-John