 Off-Topic / Debate / 18456
Re: The Brick Testament parts the Red Sea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 22:56:56 GMT

However I have to wonder about your assertion that it's easier to disprove
the existance of god than it is to prove that slavery is evil... Aren't they
questions in totally different realms? One is concerned with proving a
physical negative (always hard to prove the negative) and the other with
proving a moral positive...

Here's the trick.  I don't believe that the concept of objective morality
makes any sense (that things or actions can be objectively good, bad, right,
or wrong).  Hence the difficulty in proving that something like slavery is
objectively evil.  I would also further say that any attempt at defining the
God of theism rests on there being such a thing as objective morality,
because one of the necessary attributes of theistic conpection of God is
that he is omnibenevolent (all-good).  So in my view, it is a priori easier
to show that "the theistic God does not exist" than "slavery is evil".

1 - And to think, it all came from a snicker

I've seen good debates sprout forth from less here on OTD.

2 - not snigger, mind you, there's a significant difference

Woah, let's not play the race card here.  @8^)

Actually, the dictionaries in which I looked up "snigger" just have it as an
alteration of snicker with the same meaning.

-Rev. Smith