 Off-Topic / Debate / 18280
Re: Buses & Beggers [Re: Vote against/for...]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 05:07:57 GMT

You choose to dodge my question, so I'll ignore yours for the moment.  Are
you claiming that blacks haven't been put into a difficult position in the
first place due to factors mentioned above?

Not at all.  Blacks *did* have serious civil rights issues.  Most of the
country has been able to get beyond simple racism.  Today many blacks face many
social and economic problems (as does everyone else!)-- but to continually
blame racism is not helping their cause.  History is what it was and nothing is
going to change it-- what we do now is what is important.  Blaming the past
serves no purpose.  The reparation movement BTW is the pinnacle of this messed
up thinking.

I'm going to cut to the chase here.  Is there racism still today in this
country?  You bet.  Probably always will be.  Here is my solution to end
racism-- stop referring to it.  By using such empty terms as "black community"
we simply perpetuate the differences *in race* between people.

Are many blacks in need?  Yes, but so are many others.  Why does the fact that
one's great-great-great-grandparents were slaves have any bearing on their
economic situation today?  All it takes is for one generation to work very hard
(even at minimum wage) to provide the means for their children to go to
college, and then the possibilities are endless and the cycle of poverty is
broken.  That formula has worked time and time again, and still works today.
The greatest threat to one's economic well-being is their lack of education.
Forget about racism-- let's look at drop-out rates among high schoolers--
*that* is the real force holding back blacks and any other group from achieving
more.  The opportunities that exist in this country are unparalleled in the
world-- anyone who is sitting around with their hand out is not working to
better their lives, and anyone who thinks that the government is going to take
care of them is sorely mistaken.  The purpose of our government is to protect
our freedoms, not provide a comfortable life. Life is full of choices.  You can
choose to make a better life for yourself, or you can choose to sit around and
watch "Jerry Springer" or MTV all day.  Choices.

-John