 Off-Topic / Debate / 18278
Re: Buses & Beggers [Re: Vote against/for...]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 01:08:09 GMT

How did blacks get into the "less money" hole?  Are you honestly trying to
sweep slavery, racism, Jim Crow laws, blocking of access to education,
discrimination in the workplace under the rug?  If you pretend that this
didn't happen, then you can pretend that the current situation isn't the
outcome of racism?

*Are* all blacks in the "less money" hole?  Why not?  Why are millions well
off, dispite all of the things you mentioned?

I am not trying to sweep all of those things under the rug; I am calling for
people who use such arguments as excuses to stop, because at some point one
must take responsibility for their own lives and situation, no matter what
their situation is.  Instead, we are griped in such a pathetic "I'm a victim"
mindset that people feel that 1) they aren't responsible, and 2) they are owed
something.

Look at the people who are leading the reparations movement.  Give me a break!
Not every wealthy white person owes their financial success to their ancestors
getting rich off of their slaves.  And what about us unwealthy white people?

My point is that there can be other explanations as to why such disparities
exist that are apart from any "inherent racism".  The proof is that there
are many blacks and other races doing very well in this country, and there
are many whites that aren't.  Looking to race to somehow explain these
disparities serves no purpose (though might be statistically interesting to
you, not me).

So history has no value?

What "history" are you talking about?  Why not examine the history of welfare,
and how we have poured billions of $$$ into it and haven't made a dent into the
problem of poverty.  What will it take to reexamine the problem and come up
with different possible solutions, because government programs ain't working.
The dirty little secret is that people will take what they are given, and if
they can eek out a life on welfare and not have to work, they will.  It's human
nature.  What, I can get *more* $$$ if I have more kids?  The welfare system in
the US has created more problems than it has solved, but it has insured one
thing: almost blind loyalty to a party that keeps promising them more welfare,
while in reality hasn't done jack in terms of helping them get out of poverty.
The numbers don't lie.

I'm just so tired of hearing people lumped together by race (the black
community, the Hispanic community) These terms mean *nothing*; they are
bereft of meaning and describe nothing of substance.

Different cultural values and background, often including religious and
linguistic differences.  All those are "substance".  What you really don't
want is to have to deal with anyone different from you - you wish they were
all the same.  Certainly it would be easier, but pretending those
differences aren't there is telling yourself a convenient lie.

Well, you might be correct if *all* blacks shared the same cultural values,
background, etc.  But they don't.  There *is* no "black community"; it is a
canard.  *You* are the one who is guilty of trying to make them all the same by
categorizing them in one group, when in fact, they are all of vastly different
backgrounds, economic conditions, everything.  The fact that they all happen to
have the same skin color is irrelevant, which was and is my original assertion.

They serve no purpose except
political gain and exploitation.

That's not exclusively true as noted above, though it does happen.  Since
you admit that that does happen, why do you have a problem admitting that
blacks have been abused and exploited for gain in the past?

In the past?  I'm talking about *today*.  Something like 90% of blacks voted
for Al Gore?  That is bizarre.  Nobody holds percentages like that over any
other group.  Why is that?  I might add that blacks are being abused and
exploited *by other blacks*, such as charatans like Jesse Jackson and Al
Sharpton.  Not many whites can claim the damage these 2 have done.

-John