 Off-Topic / Debate / 18261
Re: The US gives too much/not enough aid
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 19:20:00 GMT

Don't forget Lend Lease (did we ever get any of the lends back?)

  No, but we got Dr. Who, Monty Python, Absolutely Fabulous, and The Young Ones.

3)The USA has benefited substantially from WW2.

Bingo.

How so? You're going to have a hard time proving that last one.

  The US benefitted in terms of the synthetic rubber industry, computer
industry, aircraft manufacturing industry, and the certainly in terms of the
advent of radar, radio communications, instant coffee.  Not to mention the
liberation of women who, once allowed into the workplace, could not so
easily be jammed back into the domestic invisibility.
  In addition, the fields of medicine and space exploration both benefited
greatly from our involvement in WWII, the latter due in no small part to our
acquisition of German scientists.  And, since our development of the atomic
bomb depended heavily on German scientists we can credit our current
position of world leadership to our involvement in WWII.  Some other nation,
perhaps the USSR, would have snatched up the Germans for their own atomic
programs, and I don't think the USSR was too far behind us at any rate.  If
we hadn't enjoyed the boom to our manufacturing and economy, who would have
helped worked as a dam against Soviet expansionism?  Perhaps into Alaska?
  There are numerous other benefits to the US from its participation in the
war, but those are a few of the ones that occur to me right out of the blocks.

     Dave!