 Off-Topic / Debate / 18109
18108  |  18110
Subject:
Amnesty International: Israel involved in "grave breaches" of international law
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 17:52:23 GMT

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/meast/11/01/human.rights.palestinians/index.html

I think my favorite quote was this one: "The report also included
recommendations for the Israeli government, including the suggestion that
its military not target Palestinian Security Services in reprisal for
suicide attacks -- instead arguing the Palestinian police should be given an
opportunity to do its job to stop them."

It is a little jarring - letting Sharon [a war criminal] enforce "justice" is
crazy. I don't think the *current* Israeli government can be trusted to act on
human rights abuses. I’m not alone:

Amnesty calls for arrest of Israelis for war crimes
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,825315,00.html

==+==
In a report published today, Amnesty says Israeli forces were guilty of
unlawful killings, torture and the use of Palestinian civilians as human
shields. It says that among other "grave breaches" of international law were
ill-treatment of prisoners, wanton destruction of hundreds of homes, sometimes
with the residents still inside, and the blocking of medical help to the
wounded.

Amnesty says the months-long investigation is the most thorough to date and
provides the spade work for war crimes trials by documenting five separate
grounds for prosecution.

Kathleen Cavanaugh, the professor of international law who researched the
report, says Amnesty has asked the Israeli government to act on the evidence
and try those responsible, although it does not name them.

If Israel does not, then the human rights group wants foreign governments it
accuses of shielding Israel from accountability, particularly the United
States, to apply political pressure and to stop the sale of weapons to the
Jewish state.
==+==