 Off-Topic / Debate / 17940
Re: Blame the Victim
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 08:31:02 GMT

On a more personal note, my mother once described the soil of her Argentine
homeland this way: "If you just throw seeds on the bare ground, something
will grow."

The irony of that analogy is that some Argentinean farmers are selling their
produce overseas in order to get more $$, the result is growing malnutrition.

There was a really good piece in the Observer yesterday about the winners and
losers in Argentina - I shall try to dig it out for you.

... and here it is [it looks abridged]:
http://www.observer.co.uk/magazine/story/0,11913,800934,00.html

Arie has also written other reports from Argentina/ S. America; just search for
her name on the site.

Scott A

Scott A

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, there is some coverage of the protest against the IMF at:
http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/09/26/capital.protests.ap/index.html).

Here's one quote:
"When the World Bank says they're giving aid and loans for what they call
development, it's really a handout to giant oil, mining and gas
corporations," said Patrick Reinsborough, an organizer with the Mobilization
for Global Justice.

What Reinsborough means is that the IMF isn't helping anyone by suggesting
to various countries that they should sell their natural resource assets out
from under the people and hand them over to the likes of Enron and
Halliburton. That's just like the stories you have heard of people buying
houses during the depression for a sack of potatoes.

I guess the Swiftian version would be: "Keep the house for a few more weeks
while you eat your children, or sell me the house for this sack of potatoes
and die in the streets later on.  I'm just trying to help...I'm a humanitarian."

-- Hop-Frog