 Off-Topic / Debate / 17925
17924  |  17926
Subject:
Get Out of the Way!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:10:46 GMT

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/09/27/media.piracy.reut/index.html

Will the gatekeepers never learn?  Get out of the way!

My latest cd purchases included stuff by Lydia Lunch, Medieaval Baebes, Lou
Reed, Poe, Tim Buckley, and Murder Inc.  Did I need the radio, MTV, VHI, or
the music press (such as it is) to locate things of interest to me? No way!

Here's another interesting point: some of the above isn't even readily
available new so I purchased much of it from the secondary "used" market.
Now correct me if I am wrong, but if a single piece of product is recycled
amongst several persons rather than owned once and forever by a single
individual doesn't the music industry lose money there too?  Maybe they
should go after places that sell used music (not that they could legally do
it, BTW).

Some of you may scoff at the next assertion, but honestly hasn't the music
of the last 3-5 years just been dreadful?  What's new that's also good and
interesting?  Everything has just broken up into tiny, well-labelled
segments of the market where the "artists" churn out competently performed
and constructed pap.

The problem is not peer-to-peer, it's the death of the musical arts (well,
as the music industry knows it, right?) that is the industry's problem.  And
I seriously hope the music industry doesn't try to wage the war on the
computer sabotage level -- they have no idea what they would be in for with
that one.

-- Hop-Frog