 Off-Topic / Debate / 17826
17825  |  17827
Subject:
Big things (was Re: For Those That *Don't Get* the 2nd Amendement (was Re: Those stupid liberal))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:36:47 GMT

<snip>

To me that means anything man portable. (up to and including mechs :-)...
see Real Life a while back where Tony and the New Girl duke it out in mechs
they built out of scrap computer cases they melted down)

<snip>

Bring on the mechs!!!  I would love to see a load lifter a la "Aliens" or an
ED-209 (under human control, of course) stomping about!  Dunno if all that
Japanimation mech stuff is possible, but it would be neat to see.

Interesting note in reference to the Aliens Power Loader - Caterpillar
actually built it, and it actually works.  Well, sort of.  The footage of
the loader lifting heavy things and walking around with them is live footage
- what they don't show you is the cables running from the two 'shoulder
spines' on the loader up to a crane.  The crane is what keeps it from
falling on it's face when it picks up something heavy and over-balances.

There's some neat articles out there on mechanical exoskeletons, and
technology has come a long way, but the net-net is that other things are
still cheaper and more versatile.

Mechs are still, alas, more fiction than science. :(

James