 Off-Topic / Debate / 1769
Re: Taking things on faith (was Re: POV-RAY orange color
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 02:07:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:

P.S. I think this is one subject that will never be resolved between
non-believers and believers, some will convert, some won't, so I try to keep
out
of it as much as I can, because I have been in many arguments such as this
about
my faith and God in many different settings, from home to church to work to
college. I will never falter in my beliefs over someone's objections like
Larry's, I can respect them, but I do not agree with them, and I probably
will
never convert Larry to being a believer. So why waste the energy? I like
debating the very hot issues that matter to many, like Train parts packs and
bulk ordering!

No, debates like this are useful. It's true that you rarely convince someone
directly by one posting - human pride tends to be too strong for that. But
the overall effect of arguing sensibly for something can change people's
attitudes gradually over time. And seeing other peoples' opinions is
important in its own right.

Besides, you might never convince the person you're arguing against, but
remember there almost certainly a lot more people who are
reading what you write.

I've moved along  a path from being a convinced atheist to being a committed
Christian [1] to my current state of being a rather disillusioned ex-Christian
who
isn't quite sure what he believes. And those changes have allways been gradual
- with a heavy influence from what I've read in debates like these as well as
various books, added to my own experiences. (Have to admit my initial
interest in Christianity was sparked by some kind acts by Christians, and my
current disillusionment owes something to other less 'upright' actions by
Christians
- including a girl I went out with who, the last I heard, was actually
applying to
train as a vicar with the Church of England...)

[1] Albeit a fairly liberal minded one - for example, I never really
bought the stuff about homosexuality being wrong - or most of the traditional
Christian attitudes to matters sexual for that matter. I can't condemn
other people for actions that do no visible harm to anyone.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com