 Off-Topic / Debate / 17606
Re: Those stupid liberal judges are at it again!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:24:15 GMT

"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> writes:
I obey the law *because* it's the law, not because the cops have guns.

I can't say this nicely, so I'll just say it.  That attitude makes
you sound like a goon.  So things are made right merely by being
law?  Like when it was legal to own people of recent African decent?

Obeying the law as a general policy doesn't preclude civil
disobedience to unjust laws.  It needn't be all-or-nothing.

When my actions happen to coincide with the dictates of our law, I
am not obeying the laws either because they are laws or because the
cops have guns.  It is generally because the laws (in those cases)
are good or because it's the only way to get things done due to
bureaucracy.  And when that's not the case, I feel free to disregard
the laws if I doubt that it will inconvenience me.

For me it's not the guns so much as the ticket books and handcuffs. :-)

Actually, I obey most laws just because they are laws.  I choose to
disobey some laws that inconvenience me, such as speeding.  But by and
large, the mere fact of something being illegal is usually enough to
stop me, regardless of the odds of getting caught.

But when you consider that for the most part, my sense of right and
wrong is usually in agreement with the law, perhaps that's the real
reason.  Most likely it is a combination of all of the above factors.

[...]
If a law is unjust, then there are ways and means *within* the law to deal

Inadequate and largely inaccessible "ways."

There are not always such ways.  Unjust laws deserve to be broken.
Should the blacks of the South in the 60's stayed in the back of the
bus and only written letters to their Congressmen?

So you are part of a well regulated militia are you?

Yes.
[...]

I'm not.  But that has nothing to do with whether or not I can own a
gun (I don't, but I reserve the right to).  The fact that I *could*
buy a gun and join a well regulated militia, should there be a need to
do so, is sufficient.

--Bill.

                      Verbing weirds language.  --Calvin