 Off-Topic / Debate / 17219
Re: slight
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 19:57:56 GMT

OK, so when Moses (or God, depending on what you believe) tells us not to
covet the neighbor's wife, what do you believe you shouldn't do?  Is it a sin
to nail your neighbor's wife?  What if she wants you to?  What if her husband
does too?

There seems to be no lee-way in the commandments.

  And far too much that's not addressed, such as:

What if my neighbor's wife covets me?
What if I covet my neighbor's daughter?
What if I covet my own daughter?
What if I covet my sister?
What if I covet my neighbor?
What if the only way to keep from killing
    someone is by bearing false witness?
What if I think my wife is dead and so I marry
    and have sex with another woman, but then
    I learn that my first wife is still alive--have
    I committed adultery?
What if the only way to honor my mother is by
    dishonoring my father?
What if my family is starving and I have to steal?
What if I kill because I think my life's in danger,
    but then I learn that I was in no danger at all?
What if I cure paralysis by using stem cells to
    regenerate damaged nerve cells?
What if I generate viable replacement organs via
    the cloning of organs from existing tissue?
What if I tell what I think is the truth, but it turns
    out to be false witness, and what if the person to
    whom I bore false witness dies before I can recant?
What if, on my deathbed, I learn that the classic
    Christ-on-his-Cross icon qualifies as a graven image?
What if my concept of God qualifies as "a strange god" before
    the "real" God?

These may seem like farcical examples, but since we live in a nation that
upholds freedom of religion by seeking to enshrine the 10 Commandments on
gov't buildings, I don't think it's unreasonable to consider the
shortcomings of the 10 in the same way that a lawyer would exploit loopholes
in tax law.  Obviously, if my immortal soul's at stake, I'd want the law to
be at least as airtight as IRS regulations, wouldn't I?

     Dave!