 Off-Topic / Debate / 17062
Re: Evolution vs Creationism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 20:12:33 GMT

and is not repeatable in any meaningful sense.

Ditto Big Bang again.

The Big Bang may not be repeatable by definition (infinite expansion).  That
does not rule out that observations are consistent with the theory.

But I could say the same about the existence of an infinite Being.

<snipping here>

Basically, in conflicts with religion, science is batting a thousand (never
lost, to those who don't understand baseball terminology).  It would appear
that there is something about religion that is inadequate to explaining the
physical world around us.  That conculsion is consistent with the results.

This is because science is using a loaded bat (to continue the metaphor).  The
presuppositions of science are that if you can't test it, observe it, predict
it, etc, it isn't valid (or, better yet, real).  Basically, whatever theory you
have, it must be able to stand up to the scrutiny of the scientific method.
What about theories which *by definition* are not proveable using the
scientific method?  Does the fact that they are outside of the ability for
science to explain them make them invalid?  If so, why?  Science is a great
tool which has served us well, but do we sometimes ask too much of it and rely
on it *too* greatly?

There *are* some things which science will never be able to explain, and I'm
not talking about philosophy or religion.  I am talking about that which we
don't even *know* about-- a reality which we presuppose doesn't exist because
we haven't found evidence for it.  And even if we caught a glimpse of it, we
would be powerless to even begin to try and explain it because of our limited
nature.  Think of a four dimensional cube (hypercube):

http://casa.colorado.edu/~ajsh/sr/hypercube.html

Confined to time-space, we will never be able to comprehend this simple object
(as a 2 dimensional person could never grasp a cube passing through theirs).

I am not knocking science.  I trust science for many things.  There are some
things which science simply cannot and will not ever adequately explain, one of
which is the infinite.  To rely on it to explain such things is as
irresponsible IMHO as a strict creationist denying carbon-dating.

-John